Loctite 7649 Primer is used in conjunction with Loctite Metal Adhesive for stainless steel components. Loctite 7649 Primer is sprayed or brushed on the metal as a primer to speed the curing time of the Adhesive, reducing the set-time to mere minutes during installation.
Instructions To Permanently Join Brass or Steel Railing and Fittings
Loctite Adhesive Application Process
1. Make sure all bond surfaces are clean and free from grease.
2. To ensure a fast and reliable cure for Stainless Steel, Aluminum, other passive metals* or inert surfaces, Loctite 7649 Primer should be applied to one of the bond surfaces and the Loctite 326 Metal Adhesive to the other surface. Parts should be assembled within 15 minutes. Please see Loctite 7649 Primer Instructions for application.
3. The recommended bondline gap is 0.1mm. Where bond gaps are large (up to a maximum of 0.5 mm), or faster cure speed is required, Loctite 7649 Primer should be applied to both surfaces. Parts should be assembled immediately (within 1 minute). Please see Loctite 7649 Primer Instructions for application.
4. Excess adhesive can be wiped away with organic solvent.
5. Bond should be held clamped until adhesive has fixtured.
6. Product should be allowed to develop full strength before subjecting to any service loads (typically 24 to 72 hours after assembly, depending on bond gap, materials and ambient conditions).
Loctite 7649 Primer instructions
1. Spray or brush on the Loctite 7649 Primer on both mating surfaces to be bonded. For small gaps treatment of only one surface may be adequate. Contaminated surfaces may need repeated treatment or special degreasing prior to activation to remove any dissolvable contamination. Porous surfaces may need two treatments of Loctite 7649 Primer.
2. Allow time for the solvent to evaporate under good ventilation until the surfaces are completely dry.
This product is not recommended for use in pure oxygen and/or oxygen rich systems and should not be selected as a sealant for chlorine or other strong oxidizing materials. For safe handling information on this product, consult the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Where aqueous washing systems are used to clean the surfaces before bonding, it is important to check for compatibility of the washing solution with the adhesive. In some cases these aqueous washes can affect the cure and performance of the adhesive. This product is not normally recommended for use on plastics (particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result). Users are recommended to confirm compatibility of the product with such substrates.
Loctite 7649 Primer must be handled in a manner applicable to highly flammable materials and in compliance with relevant local regulations. For example, special care must be taken to avoid contact of the Loctite 7649 Primer or its vapor with naked flame or any electrical equipment that is not flame proofed. The carrying solvent can affect certain plastics or coatings. It is recommended to check all surfaces for compatibility before use. Avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact. Use only in a well ventilated area. No smoking in presence of Loctite 7649 Primer.
Store product in the unopened container in a dry location. Storage information may be indicated on the product container labeling. Optimal Storage: 8 °C to 21 °C. Storage below 8 °C or greater than 28 °C can adversely affect product properties. Material removed from containers may be contaminated during use. Do not return product to the original container.
Caution: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD LOCTITE 7649 PRIMER AND LOCTITE 326 ADHESIVE BE MIXED DIRECTLY AS LIQUIDS.
* Loctite 7649 Primer is not necessary with Brass components.